What Makes Our Guest House Eco?
At Bryn Elltyd Eco Guest House we believe you should be able to enjoy a holiday without damaging the environment.
We are a 100% Carbon Neutral, getting all our energy from renewables. That includes the sauna, heating, kitchen, electric, wi fi, 3 car charge points and a host of other things… Not bad for 1883 stone building 700ft up a Welsh mountain!
Below are some of the on site assessment we have passed…..
Green Dragon Environment Standard Welsh eco scheme
Green Tourism. UK eco scheme…….. Gold award twice
Superhomes. A UK eco organisation looking energy use in older homes. They access us as 92% energy saving
Trip Advisor Green Leader. Global scheme not related to reviews but sustainability. it took us 5 weeks after it became available to Europe to go in at top Platinium level.
- 100% Carbon Neutral renewable electricity and heating
- Computer controlled biomass central heating integrated with solar panel water arrays.
Burns wood gas at 900c and auto cleans itself every night.
- 2 huge solar water heating arrays
- To 2 efficient log burners. Local logs or timber from our own 1 acre garden
- Locally sourced and reclaimed timber used as fuel
- 2000 watts of solar electric panels.
- 32 amp electric Car charging points. and two 16 amp points. All electric is made on site or from 100% renewable sources
- Seasonal fruit and vegetables grown in rich composted soil
- Local free range eggs and our own duck eggs. Local Sausage and bacon
- Local shops and business supported. Up cycled chairs /tables from 1mile
- Recycled timber used for fences, wood stores etc
- 80% spend within 13miles. Supermarket spend is 2miles away at Co-op on co-op card from Co-op bank
- Rain water capture for toilet flushing
- Rain water capture for allotment watering
- Chamber biological sewerage system, with normal flushing loos, filtered by reed bed into our duck pond.
- Metered mains water
- Cunning design added to 1883 building reducing outside walls
- Extra external and internal insulation
- Sheep’s wool insulation
- Turf roofs / sedum green roofs
- 2 conservatories for heat capture and venting into house
- 100% Fairtrade tea and coffee
- Other Fairtrade products used where possible
- Glass, paper and plastic recycled
- Environmentally friendly cleaning products used
- Recycled toilet paper
- Recycled printer paper
- Engineering skills used to repair and recycle as needed.
- One wheelie bin for 15 people on a 3 week emptying cycle